As Thanksgiving approaches, there’s no better way to showcase your baking prowess than by crafting the perfect pie or tart from scratch. The aroma of a fresh bake either with a buttery, golden Pâte Brisée or a perfect, flaky piecrust is enough to entice anyone at your next gathering. Find your next favorite recipe from this list!
1. Deep-Dish Chocolate Chunk Pecan Pie – The only thing that could make golden, rich pecan pie better? Chocolate chunks, stirred into the divinely sweet filling, of course. With our Deep-Dish Chocolate Chunk Pecan Pie, you can satisfy any sweet craving!
2. Apple Crumb Pie – Traditional apple pie gets an updo with a creamy crème fraîche custard filling in this Apple Crumb Pie. Layers upon layers of crisp sweet apples are topped with a creamy base and baked until soft. With a splash of spiced rum and a crunchy Almond Streusel topping, this recipe begs for ice cream.
3. Banana Pudding Meringue Pie – A classic turned upside down, our delicious take on this fruit-studded cream pie inspired by Erin Jeanne McDowell’s #mydreampie challenge is totally bananas. Vanilla wafers are crumbled into a fluffy meringue, which is piped into a pie plate and then baked. The vanilla-scented meringue shell turns both crunchy and chewy—a flawless vessel for holding creamy homemade vanilla pudding and fresh-cut banana slices. A special shout out to Rose Levy Beranbaum for this incredible meringue shell technique.
4. Triple-Chocolate Pie – Some days require chocolate; others call for triple chocolate. A crunchy, press-in crust is filled with a silky bittersweet chocolate custard and a fluffy, cocoa-scented Swiss meringue topping creates this Triple-Chocolate Pie. “It’s a chocolate lover’s dream, and I would know—I come from a long line of them.” – Kate Wood of The Wood and Spoon
5. Sweet Potato Tart – A twist on the classic sweet potato pie, our tart has a speculoos cookie crust filled with vanilla bean seed-speckled sweet potato filling and garnished with a billowy meringue that’ll inspire only the fluffiest of marshmallow fantasies.6. Honey Nut Pie – If you like a pie with some crunch, this is the recipe for you. Our remix on the classic pecan pie abounds with texture. Smooth orange blossom honey and a tender Pâte Brisée crust soften the unique blend of pine nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, and walnuts.
7. Red Velvet Cheesecake Tart – The flavors of red velvet cake meet cheesecake in a showstopping tart. To add an edible optical illusion, the filling is swirled on top, but once sliced it maintains perfect red and white stripes. With a no-bake filling, this tart not only is stunning to look at, but it comes together in record time.
8. Sweet Potato Pecan Pie – Our Sweet Potato Pecan Pie is a beautiful mash-up of two favorites. This spiced, pecan-studded, sweet potato pie packs the best of both southern desserts into one slice.
9. Spiced Chocolate Fudge Pie – Guajillo chili and cayenne pepper give this fudge pie spicy depth and a kick. Velvety cocoa notes and a light dusting of confectioners’ sugar curb the heat.
10. Appeltaart (Dutch Apple Tart) – Inspired by the world-famous appeltaart at Amsterdam’s Winkel 43, this recipe is everything an appeltaart should be: a buttery, tender crust brimming with sizeable pieces of aromatic spiced apple. Baking the apple chunks before assembling ensures a hefty filling with height while preventing a soggy bottom.
11. Sweet Potato Hand Pies – The perfect pastry package, these Sweet Potato Hand Pies hide the welcome surprise of a spiced brown sugar-laden sweet potato filling. Drizzled with a warm glaze, each one is the buttery celebration of autumn’s sweetest tuber.