An intricately woven masterpiece, this whirling and swirling braided Za’atar Swirl Bread is punctuated by aromatic za’atar seasoning and driven to fluffy heights thanks to Platinum® Yeast from Red Star®.
- 2 cups (250 grams) whole wheat flour
- 2¼ to 2½ cups (286 to 318 grams) bread flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon (12 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 (0.25-ounce) package (7 grams) Platinum Yeast
- 1 tablespoon (9 grams) kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons (10 grams) za’atar seasoning, divided, plus more to serve
- ¼ cup (56 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (28 grams) extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more to serve
- 1½ cups (360 grams) warm water (120°F/49°C to 130°F/54°C)
- 1 large egg (50 grams), room temperature and lightly beaten
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat wheat flour, 1 cup (127 grams) bread flour, sugar, yeast, salt, and ½ tablespoon (1 gram) za’atar seasoning at low speed just until combined. Add 2 tablespoons (28 grams) oil; add 1½ cups (360 grams) warm water, and beat until dough comes together. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Add 1¼ cups (159 grams) bread flour to dough. Switch to dough hook; beat at low speed until a soft, somewhat sticky dough forms, 5 to 8 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl and dough hook; add up to remaining ¼ cup (32 grams) bread flour, 1 tablespoon (8 grams) at a time, if dough is too sticky. Turn out onto a very lightly floured surface, and shape into a smooth round.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together remaining 4½ tablespoons (9 grams) za’atar seasoning and remaining ¼ cup (56 grams) oil until combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 20×16-inch rectangle (about ¼ inch thick). Using a small offset spatula, spread za’atar mixture all over dough. Starting with one long side, roll up dough, jelly roll style; pinch seam to seal. Gently shape log to 22 inches long and even thickness, if necessary. Place seam side down, making sure seam is off to one side instead of in center. Using a sharp serrated knife, cut in half lengthwise, leaving a 1-inch piece intact at one end of log. Turn halves cut side up, and starting at uncut end of log, twist halves together until completely twisted, pinching ends together. Roll each end into a tight spiral in opposite directions, meeting in center to create an “S” shape. Using your hands, transfer to prepared pan, making sure to keep cut sides up and ends tucked. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until puffed, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven 375°F (190°C).
- Using a pastry brush, brush egg onto clean parts of dough.
- Bake until top is golden brown and an instant-thermometer inserted in center registers 190°F (88°C), 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes. Serve warm with za’atar and oil.